I was dreading the day I would receive SPAM in my box, because… well, quite frankly, I was scared of it! I’d never tried it before!
I know SPAM has a HUGE cult following. There are fansites of the stuff, people make sculptures of the stuff… people make fansites of the sculptures of the stuff… BUT… if it is capable of doing SO many things, did I really want to eat it?
I went straight to the SPAM website to look for a recipe to try. There was no way I was going to trust myself to try to concoct one on my own.
I decided upon Spam & Gnocchi Soup:
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 12-ounce can SPAM Classic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16-oz) package mini potato gnocchi
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 TBSP cold water
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Place olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and carrots into the hot oil. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the SPAM and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir gnocchi into the simmering soup and cook until they begin to float, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until it is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Add the cornstarch and half-and-half into simmering soup. Cook until soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
The verdict? I LOVED IT. I seriously ate the heck out of this soup. My family loved it, too, but you wouldn’t even know it because I ate most of the left-overs myself so they couldn’t have second-helpings.
What is wrong with me and who have I turned into? Eating SPAM and not being scared of it and all! Does this mean I’m evolving into a superior species?!
Do you eat SPAM? If so, HOW do you eat it? And then, finally, my most important question: Should I start sculpting with it now?
I have partnered with Hormel Foods as part of their Extended Family Blogger Program. While Hormel Foods provides me with material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiments and opinions at Leapfrogandlipgloss.com are my own.