Every month I receive a shipment of Hormel products as part of their “Extended Family Blogger” program. When I posted my haul a few days ago, I mentioned that I had a recipe idea that I thought the girls would love combining their favorite vegetable with this:
Yes, red beets are my daughters’ favorite veggie! I think they were drawn to them when they were younger because they’re bright red, and little kids love bright red objects. Their dad can’t stand them and think they’re disgusting. So, I guess a lesson here might be, if you have kiddos who have trouble eating veggies, don’t count out beets even if you and society has a personal aversion to them because you just never know!
- 3 to 4 medium red beets (with greens and stems)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- ¾ package of Hormel Real Crumbled Bacon (I used the Applewood Smoke Flavor)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut stems and greens off the beets, chop them up, then thoroughly rinse them in a colander
- Trim off any excess growth off beets (left over stems, roots, etc) and discard. Scrub roots well.
- Brush olive oil over beets, then wrap individually in aluminum foil keeping it open just a bit at the top
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until tender
- Steam greens and stems until greens are starting to wild and stems are tender
- When beets are cool enough to handle, cut into ½ pieces and mix with stems and greens
- Top with red onion and bacon
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, 2 TBSP olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper together, then drizzle the dressing over the salad.
I have partnered with Hormel Foods as part of their Extended Family Blogger Program. While Hormel Foods provides me with material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiments and opinions at Leapfrogandlipgloss.com are my own.