I was so excited to see that cooking with Jennie-O wasn’t just just a one-time deal when some goodies arrived at my house! If you recall, they sent me ingredients to make something for breakfast a little while back. A few days ago, they sent me turkey products to aid me in summery recipes.
Here’s what I received:
I decided to make stuffed peppers with the ground turkey. But instead of just the traditional stuffed peppers with rice and ketchup stuffed inside, I wanted something a little a little less heavy and more summery tasting, so I used salsa and taco seasoning.
- 3-4 large green peppers, halved lengthwise, washed out and seeded
- 1 20 oz package Jennie- O Ground Lean Turkey
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- (Optional ingredients): Brown Rice, Sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, sour cream, hot chili sauce, extra cheese-- basically anything you'd find in Mexican Food)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut Green Peppers in half, lengthwise (top to bottom). Scoop out seeds and use water to rinse out the rest.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil and put peppers a couple at a time in pot. Leave in for 3-4 minutes until skin is softer. (They will change from green, to bright green, to duller green.) Pull out with tongs, drain out water
- Brown ground turkey in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add 3 TBSP of water and the Taco seasoning to the turkey and stir.
- Stir in Salsa. If meat seems too dry, add more. Turn heat down to low when turkey is heated thoroughly.
- Mix in Cheese
- Place pepper halves in glass casserole dish, open side up, then spoon in turkey mixture
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of your choice
I feel like my girls enjoyed these more than the traditional stuffed peppers. My youngest doesn’t care for any type of ground meat, so I made hers with brown rice. Another take on this recipe could be mixing rice with turkey.
What types of meals do your family eat for the summer?
Disclosure: Although I was provided with material necessary to complete this post from Jennie-O, all opinions and sentiments about provided material are my own.