If you’re a regular reader on my blog, you may recall that a few months ago I put a call to action out in the web-osphere for mommies everywhere to share what they really eat for breakfast every morning. The response was pretty consistent across the board with a cup of coffee being the front-runner. My breakfast wasn’t much better as many mornings, I’ll just heat up a cup of noodles and slurp them while I get everybody ready.
On some mornings I’ll skip breakfast all together and just opt to eat lunch early. Clearly, I need help in the breakfast department, so I was pretty excited when Jennie-O sent me some goodies to assist me with that for their “Better Breakfast” campaign.
Here’s what I received:
Jennie-O Turkey Breakfast Sausage Links– I’ve already cooked these served them with scrambled eggs. I actually prefer the taste of turkey sausage links to the alternative.
Jennie-O Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage– This is the ingredient I chose to cook a recipe for this post. You’ll find that when you scroll down a little more!
Jennie-O Turkey Bacon– Bacon is ALWAYS welcome around here. Whether it’s to eat for breakfast, crumble on salad or put on a BLT. I find turkey bacon to be tasty and it is actually much better for you than regular. It has 60% less fat and sodium than pork bacon.
- 1 (16-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic (I used garlic powder, so used ½ the measurement)
- 2 (7.5-ounce) cans biscuit dough
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup fat-free ranch dressing
- ¾ cup Alfredo sauce
- 12 eggs or 3 cups egg substitute
- salt and pepper, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cook sausage as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer; set aside.
- Mist 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In small pan, melt butter and garlic; Set aside. Place biscuit dough in bottom of pan pinching seams together to seal. Brush garlic butter over biscuit dough.
- In medium bowl, mix together has browns, ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, ranch dressing and Alfredo sauce; spread over dough. In medium bowl, whisk eggs. Pour over hash browns and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top with sausage and ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until set.
This recipe made a LOT of portions so I’ve been eating it for breakfast every morning this week which means no more skipping breakfast! Here’s a little tidbit they emailed me: Not skipping breakfast and, instead, making it a daily habit can help you lose weight.
That makes sense to me. I notice when I skip breakfast, I get pretty snacky and load myself with “this or that” throughout the day, or I end up eating 3 meal-type portions of food anyway, with the last portion winding up so close to bedtime I don’t have a chance to burn it off.
If you’re looking for healthy breakfast alternatives, you can head over to Jennie-O’s Pinterest Board of 30 meals under 300 calories. The Turkey Bacon Strawberry Wrap may be next in line for me, since strawberries are in season, so we’ve been buying them a lot lately!
You can view ALL Jennie-O’s breakfast recipes here.
Are you a breakfast eater? Do you ever substitute Turkey bacon or sausage in place of Pork?
Disclosure: Although I was provided with material necessary to complete this post from Jennie-O, all opinions and sentiments about provided material are my own.